Anime Purge on Hulu

A massive ripple can be heard everywhere in the Anime world today as it was announced that many anime shows will disappear from Hulu’s streaming service come June 1st.  While popular titles such as Attack on Titan, Naruto, and Sailor Moon Crystal are staying; many other older and more obscure titles are getting the boot.  Viz Media has assured everyone through Twitter that none of their titles (popular, obscure, or other) will not be affected.

This comes as upsetting news for yours truly, as about 70% of my anime viewing is through Hulu (the other 30% through Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Neflix).  So as soon as June hits, any shows that I was watching that is not from Viz or Funimation will be gone forever.  While most shows I can still get by way of Blu Ray, other shows still have yet to be licensed for home distribution that is not digital.

Anime is not the only thing getting swept away.  Word on the street is that since Turner Classic Movies will join forces with Hulu in the mere future, so all of the Criterion Collection offered by Hulu will disappear by December.

Here is some of the current list of what is leaving Hulu by June 1st.  If you’re all good at binge watching, best do it now for the next couple of days.  Otherwise it’s gone forever… Or until someone picks it up for Blu Ray…

  1. All incarnations of Lupin the Third
  2. Magic Knight Rayearth
  3. Rose of Versailles
  4. Monster Rancher
  5. Panda! Go Panda!
  6. Sherlock Hound
  7. Requiem from the Darkness
  8. Arjuna
  9. DearS
  10. Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie
  11. Please Twins!
  12. Stratus 4
  13. Saber Marionette J 
  14. Saber Marionette R
  15. Jin Roh
  16. R.O.D. the TV
  17. Day Break Illusion
  18. Persona 4 the Golden Animation
  19. Star Driver
  20. New Getter Robo

Source: Anime News Network, Endgadget.com

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Anime Purge on Hulu

  1. Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve been using Hulu lately too for the past two months. But if they get rid of enough shows, it probably won’t be worth it since I can watch Funimation, Netflix, and Crunchyroll already. I’m glad Viz’s titles will remain onboard, so I can finish binge-watching Bakuman, haha.

    Like

  2. This is the problem with streaming services, you don’t actually own anything so it can disappear. So much easier if we could just buy a permit to download content. I don’t use HULU but I often think about just how much I would lose if one of the services I did use either removed content or shut down.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Like

    1. The reason I use streaming services is not just to enjoy watching so much anime at any given time, but in a way to decide on whether I would enjoy a series enough to actually buy it. Before streaming services, most of the time I would buy anime series on DVD (no blu ray at the time either) and then watch them. Now if I enjoyed it, it would another great addition to the collection. If it was just mediocre or I downright hated it, then I wasted anywhere from $50 to $150 bucks on the box set and then was stuck with it or selling it on Amazon for a quarter of what I paid for it. I still buy and invest in series I’ve seen in the past by buying them on blu ray, but the great thing about streaming services is it helps in my decision on whether to buy. Also I can watch multiple shows without having to switch discs. While I am happy the popular stuff is staying, most of the older obscure stuff I didn’t watch the first time around years ago before streaming I am just shit out of luck.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s